Faulkner University has been a part of Montgomery, Alabama, since 1942 when Dr. Rex Turner, Dr. Leonard Johnson and Joe Greer established Montgomery Bible College on a few acres on Ann Street. Their mission was to create an institution that provided preacher training and education based in God's Holy Word.
Over the years, the school grew and evolved tremendously. The school was renamed Alabama Christian College in 1953, and 11 years later the present property on the Atlanta Highway was purchased.
In 1975, the college opened extended campuses in Birmingham, Huntsville and Mobile. The Thomas Goode Jones School of Law was acquired in 1983, and a year later the college was accredited as a four-year university.
In 1985, the college was renamed Faulkner University in honor of longtime supporter, trustee and chairman of the board, Dr. James Faulkner of Bay Minette, Ala. The University is now home to five colleges: the Alabama Christian College of Arts and Sciences, the Harris College of Business and Executive Education, the V.P. Black College of Biblical Studies, the College of Education, and the Thomas Goode Jones School of Law.
In the years since the college became Faulkner University, the campus's physical plant has grown to include new buildings for classrooms and administration, new dorms and apartments, a student multiplex, complexes for the football, soccer, baseball and softball programs and a fine arts theater that houses the acclaimed Faulkner University Dinner Theatre. Plans are also underway for a major renovation of the Gus Nichols Library.
Faulkner University is proud of its continuing role as a growing and dynamic part of the Montgomery community.