Montgomery County Circuit Judge Walter B. Jones founded the Law School in 1928 at the request of several young men and women who wanted to pursue a legal education but could not afford to give up their employment to attend a traditional law school. Judge Jones named the school in honor of his father, Thomas Goode Jones (1844-1914).
Thomas Goode Jones was a farmer, soldier and lawyer. Jones served as reporter for the Supreme Court of Alabama, Speaker of the House of the Alabama Legislature and two terms as Governor of Alabama. In 1901, President Theodore Roosevelt appointed Jones to serve as the United States District Judge for the Northern and Middle Districts of Alabama. Jones authored the Alabama Code of Ethics, a document that served as a model for the American Bar Association's 1908 Canons of Professional Ethics.
From 1928 until his death in 1963, Judge Jones owned and operated the School of Law as a proprietary educational institution. He served as president, dean, and faculty member. Classes were held in his chambers in the Montgomery County courthouse and in his home in downtown Montgomery. Judge Jones selected outstanding local attorneys to serve as faculty members.
The University of Alabama acquired the School of Law from Judge Jones' heir in 1972 and transferred the School of Law's assets to Jones Law Institute, a non-profit corporation. In August of 1983, Alabama Christian College (now Faulkner) purchased the School of Law from the University of Alabama and moved the School of Law to the Faulkner campus.
For more than 75 years, the School of Law has produced over 2,000 alumni who have become practicing attorneys, judges and other contributors to the legal profession. Many have found their way to prominence in Alabama's legislative services and have become leaders in the civic, educational and business life of their communities.