Instructional Support Lab
The Instructional Support Lab offers learning resources and CLEP, DANTES, GMAT and GRE test preparation resources to all Faulkner students. The lab's fourteen computers have internet access and are available to students for computer-based tutoring, research, typing and writing assignments.
Free tutoring in math (remedial math through Calculus) is provided by qualified math instructors. Students may schedule weekly appointments with a math tutor. Walk-ins are welcome provided a tutor is available. Video and computer-based instruction is also available for use in the lab. Some instructional software may be checked out overnight.
Free on-line tutoring is available to all Faulkner students through Smarthinking. Smarthinking provides tutoring in core and advanced subjects. Smarthinking tutors are available for extended hours in the evenings and on weekends when the Instructional Support Lab is closed. In addition, Smarthinking offers academic resources such as Smarthinking Writer's and ESL Writer's Handbooks, a Study Guide Handbook, and links to sites that provide mathematics support. Students with an existing blackboard account may access Smarthinking via the "Tools" link. Students who do not already have a blackboard account should e-mail Mrs. Pat Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to Smarthinking.
The Writing Center, housed in the Instructional Support Lab, is staffed with qualified peer tutors who provide free writing skills instruction. The Writing Center's peer tutors are recommended by the English Department and must have excellent writing and communication skills. Students requesting writing assistance may schedule appointments on a weekly basis.
The Instructional Support Lab also serves as a testing center.
- Make-up tests are administered to students by lab personnel upon the instructor's request.
- Placement tests are offered to all incoming freshmen during College Bound weekends and at the beginning of each semester.
- Computer-based CLEP tests are administered twice monthly on Friday afternoon from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and are available to the general public as well as all Faulkner students.
- Computer-based DANTES/DSST exams are administered once monthly on Friday afternoon from 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. and are available to the general public as well as all Faulkner students.
- Computer-based MAT exams are administered once monthly on Friday afternoon at 1 p.m.