The University Counseling Center
The University Counseling Center, located on the second floor of the Rotunda on the Montgomery Campus, provides confidential counseling services for personal, emotional, social, and mental health concerns students may face. Counseling is available by appointment. Referrals will be made to community mental health providers when the needs of the student cannot be met by the University Counseling Center. (Note: All fees associated with community providers or services are the sole responsibility of the student). The University Counseling Center employs three Masters level counselors for students.
Counseling Center Resources
The University Counseling Center has joined Ulifeline (to provide students access to online resources. Ulifeline allows students to:
- Complete a self-evaluation tool that identifies common mental health issues
- Learn more about mental health issues and the warning signs of emotional distress and suicide
- Access University Counseling Center information, emergency contact information and other resources.
Counseling Center Practices
The University Counseling Center provides counseling from a Christian foundation and perspective within a confidential and caring environment. The counselors provide services consistent with professional standards. The counselors provide counseling for a wide range of issues, including:
- Personal Issues: Individual concerns, such as relationship issues, anxiety, and depression
- Career Choice: Deciding on a major and a career field
- Academic Skills: Time management, study skills, test-taking, and test anxiety
- Alcohol and Drug Education: Learning more about alcohol and other drugs, screening and referral for treatment if needed
The counselors maintain confidentiality in accordance with standards, regulations and laws mandated by the State of Alabama and the Federal government such as HIPAA, 42 USC 290dd-3, 42 USC 290ee-3, and mandate disclosure in child abuse cases. The counselors will explain the privileges of confidentiality when a student initiates service.